About the Department
Established in the year 2011 with a mission to prepare highly competent Automobile Engineers for global automotive industries through innovative, industry-oriented curriculum, intensive practical training, Industry exposure to the students in the thrust areas(Automotive Design and Automotive Electronics and Automotive service).
Our team consists of well qualified and experienced Faculty members headed by Dr. S John Alexis. We focus on industry exposure to the students and train them through Industry projects in a specialized stream of their choice. Major areas of research interest are the Hybrid and Electric Vehicle Technologies, Vehicle Design & Performance optimization and Vehicle Maintenance.
To be a renowned Learning Centre in the field of Automobile Engineering contributing towards development of the society.
To attain the Vision, the department will
M1: Develop students for successful careers in Industry, Public Sectors and Academia.
M2: Provide required learning environment and processes to become socially responsible Engineering Professionals.
M3: Establish Industry-Institute interaction
M4: Inculcate the entrepreneurial mind set to start-up new business
Program Educational Objectives (PEO)
The Automobile Engineering Graduates will
PEO 1:Practice in industry or Public Sector Units as Engineers who would design and develop products, processes or services
PEO 2: Be entrepreneurs engaged in adopting, developing or deploying technology in engineering industry or services
PEO 3: Practice managerial or leadership roles with human values and social responsibility
PEO 4: Pursue higher studies in engineering or management
Within a few years after graduating from the Automobile Engineering Department at KCT
Program Outcomes (PO’s)
- Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
- Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- Conduct investigations of complex problems:
- that cannot be solved by straightforward application of knowledge, theories and techniques applicable to the engineering discipline.
- that may not have a unique solution. For example, a design problem can be solved in many ways and lead to multiple possible solutions.
- that require consideration of appropriate constraints/requirements not explicitly given in the problem statement. (like: cost, power requirement, durability, product life, etc.).
- which need to be defined (modeled) within appropriate mathematical framework.
- that often require use of modern computational concepts and tools.
- Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modelling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal, and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
- Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
Program Specific Outcomes (PSO’s)
The Automobile Engineering Graduates will have the ability
PSO 1:To provide solutions for designing safe and affordable automotive and mobile equipment
PSO2: To explore the Automotive Manufacturing, Automotive Electrical & Electronics and vehicle maintenance and service domains.
From the HOD’s Desk
Welcome to the Department of Automobile Engineering at KCT. We started our journey in the year of 2011. Over the past years, we have developed ourselves into a good learning center with state of the art laboratories, expertise, and competence in the core Automobile Engineering curriculum and related areas. We have a strong undergraduate program in Automobile Engineering, sanctioned with a student’s strength of 60 per year by Anna University, Chennai. The primary focus of our curriculum is to provide technical knowledge to students, promote their problem-solving skills and innovation and improvement of new and existing technologies. The Department offers a large number of Professional Elective, Industry oriented one credit and open elective courses for providing a wide spectrum of interdisciplinary options to the students to pursue their interest. The course contents are periodically updated in consultation with the experts from the industry considering the scientific and technological developments. Undergraduate students are encouraged to part take in various research projects also under various department associations and clubs.
As most of the students come from the diversified social environment it becomes a need for the department that they are mentored by the Faculty member with whom they can share their thoughts, expectations, express themselves and would feel comfortable away from home. Faculty members are also regularly writing technical articles and papers to journals.
Consultancy and research works are part of our regular activities in the department. The teaching module comprises lectures, tutorials, and practicals. The methodology adopted in the classroom teaching is based on the application of strategies, intensive lectures, regular assignments and interaction between teachers and students.
- Automobile Engineering
- Programmes offered
- Technical Events
- Student Achievements
- Conferences Conducted
- Tie Ups & MOU’s
- Department Association
- Research Activities
- Student Activities
- Advisory Committee
- SAEINDIA KCT Collegiate Club
- Curriculum & Syllabus
- Faculty Details
- Contact Details